Date: 10/20/18 5:09 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] NH Coast (Excellent morning flight of Gannets, Redhead, 3 YB Cuckoos, etc.)
Jane and I hit the coast today.  Fortunately we checked the ocean early
because birds were moving!  Great flight of Gannets, and a generally
great diversity of other species.  All moving south.  Most of the
migration was from 7 AM to 9 AM when it all died down quickly.  But
cormorants picked up a bit and there were still some scoters moving.

Comments:     Migration watch 7 AM - 11 AM.  Most birds in first 2 hours
after sunrise from Seabrook Beach.  A few more from Little Boar's
Head.   Overcast with strong SW winds at about 25-30 knots! Amazing
morning migration on STRONG SOUTHWEST winds.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/

All counted MIGRATING SOUTH
Canada Goose  12
American Wigeon  2     With Pintails.
American Black Duck  81
Northern Pintail  4     With Wigeon.
Green-winged Teal  1
Greater Scaup  4
Lesser Scaup  2
Common Eider  243
Surf Scoter  291
White-winged Scoter  55
Black Scoter  282
scoter sp.  467
Long-tailed Duck  6     First of fall.
Bufflehead  7
Red-breasted Merganser  47
Red-necked Grebe  3
Dunlin  2
Black Guillemot  1
Black-legged Kittiwake  1     Juvenile flying south off Little Boar's Head.
Bonaparte's Gull  59
Red-throated Loon  71     Most fairly close.
Common Loon  55     Modest flight of Common Loons, but our first decent
flight of the season.
Northern Gannet  1,727     Fantastic morning flight.  All in first 2
hours.  Dead by 9 AM.  Careful, accurate count by Jane of birds passing
by a single spot offshore.  She kept counts of birds by 25 and I logged
them and counted other birds.
Double-crested Cormorant  968
Peregrine Falcon  2

Then.....continuing north.....later in morning.

REDHEAD - Male continues on Eel Pond

YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO - 3 (!) at Odiorne Point State Park.  Clearly a lot
around lately.

And later RED PHALAROPE at Exeter WTP.  Great find at Exeter WTP by Leo
Mckillop.  Remarkably find considering the steady westerly winds over
the last couple of days!

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA