Date: 10/20/18 4:52 pm
From: Steve Huggins <sjhuggins1209...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Lincoln Park Hawkwatch - Sat 10/20
I hawk watched from my rooftop (Clark & Belden - Chicago) today from 8.45am to 3.45pm. It was actually quite a pleasant morning with a decent flight in the strong west winds, but the flight was virtually shutdown in the afternoon by the mid-day cold front and precipitation including snow and ice.

Hawk totals as follows:
Turkey Vulture - 7
Northern Harrier - 5
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 77
Cooper’s Hawk - 7
Northern Goshawk - 1
Red-shouldered Hawk - 2
Red-tailed Hawk - 39
Merlin - 1
Peregrine - 1
American Kestrel - 2
Total - 142

Perhaps even more impressive were the Chimney Swift numbers - hard to count but somewhere close to 1000 - they are roosting in a chimney just across the street, the local hawks have found them too and I saw a Peregrine snatch at least two. Kestrel and Cooper’s Hawks also investigated the chimney but were not successful.

Full list can be viewed at:
http://www.igoterra.com/rs.asp?userid=283&d=2018-10-20 <http://www.igoterra.com/rs.asp?userid=283&d=2018-10-20>

Cheers
Steve Huggins