Date: 10/20/18 1:41 pm
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR - opening & Vermilion Flycatcher
The refuge along Lighthouse Rd. is supposed to open tomorrow morning. There may be some areas cordoned off.

I had been working in the refuge M-F last week and found an adult male Vermilion Flycatcher. It was present Oct. 17 and 18th, perching on the fishing pier on East River pool and surrounding vegetation. I didn't notice it on the 19th, but I only made a couple passes by that location. Right on schedule - last year one showed up at the double dikes on Oct. 20th.

Stony Bayou #1 was drawn down prior to the hurricane and had exposed mud flats. Up to ten Spoonbills and White Pelicans (FOS for me) last week. Several of the big oaks around the Mounds restrooms, which are often excellent for passerines, were blown down but most of Mounds/Tower Pond trail is in good shape.

Join us on Facebook!