Date: 10/20/18 12:29 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Beach, Dunes & Hedge Area-Finally A Piping Plover! Saturday 10-20-18
Hello Bird People,

The day started off like all my other failures this week when we
couldn't find the Piping Plover that had been here for the last 2
days. The Semipalmated Plover that it was hanging out with was present
but not the Piper. Gave up at about 8 a.m. & was looking for sparrows
by the Dunes when I got called over & told that the Piping Plover was
back found by Jayne L after the rest of us left.
(Way to go Jayne!) Went back & saw the PIPING PLOVER & learned that
the Dunlin numbers had increased from 10 to 11. The other Dunes
highlight was a single RUSTY BLACKBIRD that flew in & left just as
quickly. Here's my Dunes day list:

Beach & Dunes (7-8:45 a.m.)

Canada Geese (47 only there 1st thing)
Killdeer (2)
Semipalmated Plover (1)
PIPING PLOVER (1, unbanded)
Dunlin (11 eventually)
Ring Billed (35) & Herring (2) Gulls
Mourning Dove (1 fly-by)
Brown Creeper (1 by the Willows)
Golden Crowned (1) & Ruby Crowned (2) Kinglets (Also by the Willows)
Y.R. Myrtle Warbler (14 on the beach feeding like shorebirds)
Palm Warbler (2)
Savannah (1), Song (3), Swamp (2) & White Crowned (3) Sparrows
RUSTY BLACKBIRD (1)
Goldfinch (2)

Hedge Area (8:45-10:15 a.m.)

Cooper's (1) & Red Tailed (1-IM) Hawks
Mourning Dove (1 fly-by)
Chimney Swift (9-10)
Eastern Phoebe (2)
Chickadee (4)
Red Breasted Nuthatch (2)
Brown Creeper (1)
G.C. (1) & R.C. (2) Kinglets
Hermit Thrush (9-10)
Robins (~15)
Nashville Warbler (1)
BLACK THROATED BLUE WARBLER (1-F) (I think this is a continuing bird)
Palm Warbler (2)
Y.R. Myrtle Warbler (6)
Cardinal (1-M & 1-F)
Eastern Towhee (H-1)
Song Sparrow (3)
White Throated Sparrow (~10)
Junco (4)
Goldfinch (4)
House Sparrow (6)

Other birds seen today by others but not by me were Northern Harrier,
Yellow Billed Cuckoo,
Tennessee Warbler & Purple Finch. Probably more.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Piping Plover which I finally got to see in
Cook County after many failures. Runners-Up to the female Black
Throated Blue Warbler & the lone Rusty Blackbird.
All's well ends well.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>