Date: 10/20/18 11:32 am
From: Rob Denholtz <robdenholtz...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Summerland
Following up on Jason Siemen's sightings of yesterday, I found one PYGMY
NUTHATCH in the tall pine on the SE corner of Greenwell and Ortega Hill.
The trail around the valley was dead until, in the tall conifers to the
right of the trail, about 200 yds. down the west fork, I found (at least)
two MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES picking through the pine cones. I met a new birder
who pointed out a Red-shouldered Hawk's nest on the trail between Ortega
Hill Rd. and Ortega Ranch Lane. The nest was not active but she had seen
birds in and on it earlier in the year and recognized the RSHA's calls from
my Sibley's app.

At the Greenwell Preserve - also very slow - I had an overhead RED-TAILED
HAWK and a BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER.

Rob Denholtz
Carp

View/Reply Online (#27797): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/27797