Date: 10/20/18 8:54 am
From: Betsy Mescavage <amkestrel1...>
Subject: hawk vs. squirrel, Northampton Co.
This morning I observed an immature Cooper’s hawk in pursuit of a squirrel in my yard, the squirrel turning quickly here and there and the hawk twisting in flight in response to the squirrel’s maneuvers. They went behind the shed and soon after the squirrel came from behind the shed and hot on its heels was the hawk. The hawk landed in the middle of the yard, sans squirrel. I did not see where the squirrel went to escape but there is a large garden bed nearby thick with growth; assuming it went in there. Very exciting to watch and I have never seen an accipiter chase a squirrel. The episode happened very quickly.

Betsy Mescavage
Seemsville
E. Allen Twp.
Northampton County