Date: 10/20/18 5:35 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (19 Oct 2018) 211 Raptors

CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Jim Balint, Tom Zunino
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Sunny - Mostly Cloudy (0-75% cloud cover), Ceiling - 20,300-30,000 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 37 - 63F, Winds West to South @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (74) and Turkey Vultures (80).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-1; adult-12
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ A bright sunny day is in store today – too bright. But it
was to be that way yesterday, but held off till late and it was a great
migration day. We’ll see what happens today. Our parking lot had a nice
wave of late-season migrants feeding in the morning sun hitting the eastern
side of the woods, including several Blackpoll Warblers, Hermit Thrush,
Philadelphia Vireo [late], Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Yellow-rumped Warblers,
and Palm Warblers. I am so happy for the cirrus clouds which slowly built
up, hiding some of the deep blue and revealing many hawks which were
moving. Another good day, made even better with a visit from Tom, local
wine-maker bearing news of a recent wine he just bottled. We will have a
wine & cheese event featuring it in November.
<BR><BR>
While chatting with Tom, I got to thinking about his last name – Zunino.
Can there be a name further down in the alphabet than THAT?? I mean a “Z”
followed by a “U?” [I actually know one - a Doctor Zwil!]
<BR><BR>
“I’ll bet you were always called the very last during role call in school.”
I said with a chuckle. [I chuckle] That started Tom.
<BR><BR>
“Yeah, and I always knew where I sat - the last row in the far right
corner. In Catholic school, we always sat in alphabetic order and I was
right behind Mark Zepino in every class – all through school.” Tom
recalled. “Mark was not very much help at all!”
<BR><BR>
It seems poor Mark was not a very good student, which didn’t help Tom’s
wandering eyes during pop quizzes. [now we know why you stomp on grapes,
Tom] Darn the luck, Tom. Why couldn’t your last name have been “Aaron?”
That way you could have sat next to that pretty [and smart] “Abram” girl
and likely graduated at the head of your class. But alas there aren’t many
Catholics named “Aaron,” are there? It’s a shame Dr. Zwil didn’t attend
your school! I guess, sitting behind you, he would have been no help to
your wandering eyes and poor Zwil would only have you to cheat off of. The
world [and I] likely would have lost a doctor and gained a janitor, were
that the case. [you’ve been “blogged,” Tom! – you better wash off!] It
was fun sharing the day, the hawks, and the stories with you, Tom!
<BR><BR>
We identified 54 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Harrier, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk,
American Kestrel, COMMON RAVEN, Red-breasted Nuthatch, House Wren,
Philadelphia Vireo, Hermit Thrush, American Pipit, Palm Warbler, Blackpoll
Warbler, Swamp Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Rusty Blackbird, Pine
Siskin, and Purple Finch. Nothing new for this year’s “hawk watch area”
species list was seen. [135 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
COMMON RAVEN, Red-breasted Nuthatch, House Wren, Philadelphia Vireo, Hermit
Thrush, American Pipit, Palm Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, Swamp Sparrow,
White-crowned Sparrow, Rusty Blackbird, Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (7): Monarch - 2, Cabbage White,
Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Buckeye, Variegated
Fritillary. Dragonflies (1): Green Darner. Reptiles & Amphibians (0).
Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.57; Steps: 10,611; Floors:
12.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 54; this season: 135
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks Cloudy with a bit of clearing possible late in the
day.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: