Date: 10/19/18 2:47 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Fermi Lab & Return To Saganashkee Slough Friday 10-19-18
Hello Bird People,

Much to my dismay there was an ebird report of the Red Necked Grebe
from Saganashkee from about 1-2 hours after the 5 of us looked &
failed. Donnie D gave a good description in an email to me & said it
was seen in the usual spot from the middle (West) parking lot. The
same place we looked for almost 2 hours with no luck. But the lighting
was pretty bad when we were there & if the Grebe was close to the
south shore then we could have just missed it. So after my Fermi Lab
visit I detoured over to Saganashkee & tried again.

But for 2 exceptions I saw exactly the same birds as yesterday with no
Red Necked Grebe.
However today the lighting was perfect & there's no doubt about the
Grebe not being there unless it was asleep somewhere. Still about 10
Cormorants, 14 P.B. Grebes, 1 Horned Grebe & 7 Great Blue Herons.
Ducks were Mallards, Bufflehead (2), Hooded Mergs (10), Common Mergs
(2-F) &
6 Ruddy Ducks. The 2 exceptions were 4 Bonaparte's Gulls instead of
yesterday's 2 & an immature Black Crowned Night Heron was new today.
Also had 1 male Kingfisher & several
Tree Swallows. I think I am done looking for this Red Necked Grebe!

Fermi Lab (8:30-10:30 a.m.)

With me today were former neighbor Danny Hecklinger & former co-worker
George Mueller. Once at Fermi we ran into local DuPage County experts
Joe Suchecki & Denis Kania. We looked for Nelson's & LeConte's
Sparrows but found none. Highlight of the day was a close by VIRGINIA
RAIL eating a fish which was found by Joe. Also heard 1 Sora Rail.
Here's my Fermi day list:

D.C. Cormorant (3-4)
Great Blue Heron (4)
Great Egret (11)
Canada Geese (~20)
G.W. Teal (~15)
Mallard (8)
Shoveler (12)
Gadwall (4)
(earlier Denis & Joe saw Lesser Scaup on Lake Law)
VIRGINIA RAIL (1 well seen)
Sora Rail (1 heard only)
Coots (~25)
SANDHILL CRANE (2, close to the road)
Ring Billed Gull (8)
Tree Swallow (10)
Blue Jays (a few)
Eastern Bluebird (H-2)
Robins (lots)
Y.R. Myrtles (2)
Savannah Sparrow (1)
Red Winged Blackbird (seen & heard)
PURPLE FINCH (1-M)
Goldfinch (a few)
(It seems that large numbers of ducks are still yet to come.)

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Virginia Rail & Runners-Up to the Bonaparte's
Gulls, the 2 Sandhill Cranes & the male Purple Finch.

License Plates Of The Day to one from West Virginia & one from New
Mexico both seen at Fermi Lab & Runner-Up to one from New Hampshire
seen on the way home.

Al Stokie
In DuPage & Cook Co's today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>