Date: 10/19/18 8:56 am
From: Patrick Comins via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Smith Richardson Sparrow-dise, potential Cassin's Vireo
Amazing morning at Connecticut Audubon Society's lower Smith Richardson Sanctuary with Stefan Martin.

First off, Stefan photographed a very plain looking "Solitary type" Vireo. He will need to examine the photos more closely, but it may be a good fit for Cassin's Vireo.

The sheer numbers of sparrows were impressive. There were hundreds of Song Sparrows, a lot of White-throated Sparrows, many Swamp, a few Chipping, at least 6 White-crowned Sparrows, several Field Sparrows, 3 or 4 Vesper Sparrows, at least one Savannah, several Towhees, dozens of Juncos plus at least 3 Indigo Buntings. Also seen was a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, several Purple Finches and a few Pine Siskins (flyover).

This was mostly in just between 9-10 AM (though I was there at 8). The hot spot was right at the sanctuary entrance at the end of the right of way just north of the junction of Hedley Farms Road and Saco Creek Road. There is a Connecticut Audubon sign and a right of way between some houses. Please do not drive through the mud puddles, as the right of way is getting pretty torn up. I'm sure there are still yet some great birds to be found there this fall. Hopefully there will be a "Patagonia picnic table effect" as more good birds are found and more birders visit.

The Connecticut Audubon Society, with funding from the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation's Long Island Sound Futures Fund and additional support from Planet Fuel, Patagonia of Westport, Greens Farms Academy, Staples High School, Builders Without Borders, Forger and Kunkel Plumbing and many generous donors is in the midst of a $200,000+ habitat restoration project at Lower Smith Richardson. As part of the process we planted a cover crop of millet, sorghum and other grains to help keep invasives down, which has resulted in a sparrow-dise for seed eating birds and for birders this fall.

We will be having a fall volunteer work day on Saturday, November 3rd to plant over 1,000 native trees and shrubs in pre-dug holes. Come help make this newly restored sanctuary a first class rest stop on the Atlantic Flyway and a great birding area for many years to come. The trees and shrubs are carefully selected for their value to migrant and wintering birds. We will be maintaining open areas for sparrows as part of the project and funds permitting plant 'feed plots' in future years as well.

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Executive Director, The Connecticut Audubon Society

314 Unquowa Road
Fairfield, CT 06824
203-259-0416 x107
www.ctaudubon.org<http://www.ctaudubon.org/>