Date: 10/19/18 7:14 am
From: Alyssa DeRubeis <alderubeis...>
Subject: Le Conte’s Sparrows (Washington Co.)
A couple of Ozark Natural Science Center naturalists and I braved this morning’s intermittent rain at Woolsey Wet Prairie (Fayetteville), and it did not disappoint. We were treated to nice close looks at a pair of LE CONTE’S SPARROWS, which were lifers for the two naturalists. We were first alerted to their presence by their clear descending call note, and they continued to vocalize throughout our observation. Where we saw them was in the western third of the “northern buffer zone,” as I call it. We did not cover all the trails, although we did cover what I regard as some of the best spots for Le Conte’s...but there could be more out there.

MARSH WRENS are still present, although in lower numbers (~3) Other birds seen/heard include SEDGE WREN (2), SAVANNAH SPARROW (5), SWAMP SPARROW (many), SONG SPARROW (many), LINCOLN’S SPARROW (many), WHITE-THROATED SPARROW (2), NORTHERN HARRIER (1, female/juvenile), SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER (5), GREAT HORNED OWL (1), and PALM WARBLER (2).

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Fayetteville, Washington Co.

Sent from my iPhone