Date: 10/19/18 6:14 am
Subject: Watauga County migrants this morning, 19 October 2018
Birders,

I had a few interesting migrants on my morning walk around my property located at 3,400 ft elevation in northern Watauga County.

White-eyed Vireo: first year bird seen well in a thicket. This is a rare migrant at my place. I’ve seen about a half dozen in ten years of birding here and this is my latest fall record by over a month.

Gray-cheeked Thrush: Nice view of a single bird flushed up from the ground. My first sighting this fall (average several/year during fall migration).

Very noteworthy was a Common Nighthawk seen on 17 October flying over my house at around 2 pm. My latest record (and first October record) in over 50 years of birding in North Carolina.

My eBird list for today follows:

Echo Valley Farm
Oct 19, 2018
7:45 AM
Traveling
0.75 miles
60 Minutes
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 1.8.1 Build 4

1 Red-tailed Hawk
1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
2 Red-bellied Woodpecker
1 Downy Woodpecker