Date: 10/19/18 4:44 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (18 Oct 2018) 245 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 16:30:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Spease, Gerry Teig

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Carol Spease, Gerry Teig, Jim Balint
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Sunny - Sunny (25-0% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,0000 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 37 - 50F, Winds WNW @ 15 - 20 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (64) and Turkey Vultures (75).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-5; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ A chill was distinctly in the air this morning and the
breeze had yet to fulfill its predicted force. I love the fall , though.
A definite influx of White-crowned Sparrows had occurred overnight,
bringing with it our first stunning adults to our feeders. I lifted my
binoculars towards the “water feature” and was rewarded with a male Purple
Finch and an adult White-crowned Sparrow sharing a bath. How nice is
THAT?
<BR><BR>
The hawks started quickly today and the sky was better than predicted, with
nice background clouds for us to scan. There were Sharp-shinned Hawks,
Cooper’s Hawks, Red-tailed Hawks, Bald Eagles, Kestrels almost constantly
in sight; many already high in the air. Common Loons were on the move,
too. The skies were full today with Canada Geese, Cormorants, hawks,
vultures, and more. A pair of Rusty Blackbirds flew over calling; as did
American Pipit and a RAVEN. A bit later in the afternoon, the clouds
diminished as did our sightings of birds.
<BR><BR>
We identified 53 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Harrier, Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered
Hawk, American Kestrel, Merlin, Common Loon, Double-crested Cormorant,
Belted Kingfisher, COMMON RAVEN, American Pipit, Palm Warbler, Rusty
Blackbird, Swamp Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Pine Siskin, and Purple
Finch. New for this year’s “hawk watch area” species list was Common Loon,
Rusty Blackbird, and American Pipit . [135 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Common Loon, Double-crested Cormorant, Belted Kingfisher, COMMON RAVEN,
American Pipit, Palm Warbler, Rusty Blackbird, Swamp Sparrow, White-crowned
Sparrow, Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (6): Monarch - 1, Cabbage White,
Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Buckeye. Dragonflies (1):
Green Darner. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (4): Eastern
Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, Meadow Vole, White-tailed Deer.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.54; Steps: 8,273; Floors: 7.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 53; this season: 135
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (3):” Common
Loon, Rusty Blackbird, and American Pipit.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks too sunny, but that was supposed to happen today,
but didn't.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: