Date: 10/18/18 9:07 am
From: Daniel Mason <millipede1977...>
Subject: Re: We're not just imagining the insect decline
Hmm, sorry Hal, accidentally just hit reply instead of reply all. I
sometimes forget to be sure of which one I want to do before I send
something.  :(

After seeing some of the responses to this one, I have something to add
to the thought(s).  The discussion about insect decline and how it
affects birds is not a bad topic as long as it stays focused on that
issue in a productive and useful way.

If politics get thrown in, and when people start looking down their
noses at other human beings and sharing that negativity through this
list, that's when it's definitely off topic(to put it nicely.)
Sometimes, even in this group, people start name calling and sharing
quite condescending opinions. There's just no need for that anywhere.
"Oh, those people over there are so ignorant...." those kinds of things.
It's quite easy and tempting to do. But it serves no purpose and
actually threatens to divide, even here with a group of mostly
like-minded individuals. We all love birds but there are so many other
differences we have and I think we sometimes forget that, or maybe don't
really care at times when an issue matters to us.
I'm always telling people, if an issue matters, if you want to teach and
reach, you'll never get there with a negative attitude and insults.
Sorry for the rambling...
I think it's a good idea to be warned about the topic and where it COULD
go...
But, I also think it's a great and relevant topic to our group here.
Lots more thoughts but, I don't want to get going too much.

Side note... plenty of bugs in my yard.

Daniel Mason