Date: 10/18/18 7:09 am
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Sunset Farm on Great Bay Access - UPDATE
As I stated in a prior email, the property at Sunset Farm in Greenland
along the southeast shoreline of Great Bay has changed ownership as part
of a "Life Estate" agreement.  It is now owned by the State of New
Hampshire, and I believe is managed by the Great Bay Discovery Center as
part of the Great Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve.  This
location is often a great spot to find ducks on Great Bay and is the
most reliable spot for Eurasian Wigeon (although I don't know of any
reports yet this fall).  A spotting scope is essential and don't bother
trying with gusty NW winds (like today!).

The property is still in a state of transition as the single family home
and apartment buildings are still standing at the end of the driveway.
It is likely that some or all of these buildings will be razed in the
future.

FOR NOW.  A heavy gate has recently been installed to block vehicular
access past the open fields portion of the driveway. This took me by
surprise last weekend.  I got this "official" response through Beth
Heckman at the Great Bay Discovery Center:

> You are welcome to bird on the site, but please do not go into the buildings. The department is working on a long term plan for the site, but our first priority was to make sure it is secure. NHFG put up the gate because the buildings are vacant, and we are concerned about vandalism.
>
> Happy birding!
> Beth

THE PROBLEM is that there is almost zero parking.  The driveway is
narrow and is somewhat elevated.  You could try to pull off along the
side of the driveway, but be VERY CAREFUL not to go too far off and get
stuck!  Or you could park directly in back of the gate, but be aware
that someone from the State may have keys and want to try to get by you
to access the property.  Or you could park way back along the Newington
Road.  In either case, you can walk the remainder of the way down the
driveway and past the house and apartments to get a view off the bay.

Good birding!

Steve Mirick
Bradford, MA