Date: 10/17/18 5:20 pm
From: Jeff Bilsky <jbilsky...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Harris's Sparrow - Skokie Lagoons Forest Preserve--Willow Rd., Cook, Illinois, US
I had time only for a quick trip in the waning light to Skokie Lagoons. Was
planning to check the picnic area but a big sparrow flock on the gravel
path next to the parking lot distracted me. It was predominantly Juncos but
every so often something else would catch my eye (CHIPPING, SONG,
WHITE-THROATED, WHITE-CROWNED), so I kept looking... and then an immature
HARRIS'S SPARROW jumped in to the group. It was pretty easy to stay on for
the most part - even after being flushed by occasional bikers and hikers -
it would return to feeding on the ground with the flock. I was eventually
joined by Ben Sanders and another birder whose name I didn't catch. We all
got great looks.

Some pics embedded: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49260733
More here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskGrWH4X

Good birding and good luck to anyone who looks tomorrow.

Skokie Lagoons Forest Preserve--Willow Rd., Cook, Illinois, US
Oct 17, 2018 5:28 PM - 6:21 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.3 mile(s)
12 species