Date: 10/17/18 6:22 am
From: Judy & Don <9waterfall9...>
Subject: Re: SNOW GEESE AND TURKEY VULTURES ON MOVE TODAY
Reading Joe's report on Monday, I ran outside after adding long underwear to my winter coat, fleece hoody, and mittens ensemble. Immediately heard what were probably Snow Geese, and definitely Red-breasted Nuthatches.

Neighbor Larry Lowman who lives on Dry Fork Creek just south of Ninestone was covering 550 linear feet of sweet potatoes, southern peas and beans all day. He reported. "I had not heard any geese before today. I suppose they 'caught the wind' coming down from Canada with this storm. This morning I heard 3 groups, and this afternoon heard 4 groups."

Plus there were lots of hungry birds at the Ninestone feeders including at least one Ruby-throated Hummingbird.

Judith
Ninestone, Carroll County

On Oct 15, 2018, at 1:14 PM, Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...> wrote:

> With our first of season dip into the 30s (and still only 40 at noon) and strong N wind (9 MPH at noon), we are experiencing heavy southward movement by at least Snow Geese and Turkey Vultures. Here are two reports from northwest Arkansas.
>
> When David Oakley and I were at Woolsey Wet Prairie Wildlife Sanctuary, freezing because of low temps and wind, we had at least 45 Turkey Vultures fly over and head due south, just below clouds. During same time, we had at least two flocks of Snow Geese fly over, but because of dense cloud cover, couldn’t see them.
>
> I just had a call from Joan Reynolds in Rogers, who around 12:30 had an estimated 700 Turkey Vultures head over her and south, in about 15 minutes, and more were still moving at 1 pm. During same period, she saw at one point about 200 geese flying just below clouds, then back into clouds.
>
> What is everybody else seeing and hearing?

Join us on Facebook!