Date: 10/16/18 1:49 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (15 Oct 2018) 3 Raptors

CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (2): Mike Gardner
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy with Rain (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 1,400-5,900 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 57 - 69F, Winds SSW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: numerous Black (12) and
Turkey Vultures (35).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ A day of RAIN…how strange! [lol] Anybody else tired of
this crap?? I heard a flock of geese flying over, looked up and was
rewarded with rain all over my binocs and no birds, hidden in the low
ceiling. I say it sounded like 47 birds though…no wait, 48 birds. Friend
Mike stopped in to bird with me for the morning on his way to nearby
Ashland to take a shift running their hawk watch. It was nice to spend
time together having laughs on this dreary day, Mike. At least you saw our
Lincoln’s Sparrow and a couple of migrating hawks. There was nearly
nothing moving this dismal day.
<BR><BR>
I saw a Song Sparrow and a Palm Warbler using, for a bird bath, a tire rut
created when I got stuck in this confounded mud during one of our
downpours. They were wildly splashing about aas if they were in THE water
feature! Be patient fellas, I know the waiting for a spot might be
tedious, but space for the opulent water feature will be available in due
time. I went to leave [ I thought] for the day nd got stuck AGAIN! Vans
are notoriously bad for this and often cannot get traction even on wet
grass. Jim came to the rescue one more time. Thanks Buddy!
<BR><BR>
We identified 40 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included
Sharp-shinned Hawk, American Kestrel, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Swamp
Sparrow, Lincoln’s Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Palm Warbler,
Yellow-rumped Warbler, and Purple Finch. Nothing new for this year’s “hawk
watch area” species list was seen. [132 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Swamp Sparrow, Lincoln’s Sparrow, White-crowned
Sparrow, Palm Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, and Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0). Dragonflies (0). Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.57; Steps: 9,273; Floors: 15.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 40; this season: 132
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a good day with no rain, a few clouds and
winds from the northwest. Any body else feel our first Golden Eagle coming
on?
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: