Date: 10/15/18 6:53 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Ankeny NWR Field Trip Report
*SAS ANKENY NWR FIELD TRIP SUMMARY*

*October 14, 2018*

For today's Salem Audubon birding field trip at Ankeny NWR, Barbara, Fred,
Kay and I were joined by six (6) other birders. The weather was nice as we
had clear blue skies with temperatures ranging from 40 degrees at the start
to 65 degrees at the end. We made five stops around the refuge including
Eagle Marsh, Pintail Marsh and several pullouts along Buena Vista Road. We
had a productive day as we identified (saw or heard) 48 species.

*Most notable sightings:*

- We saw six species of raptors including a *Red-shouldered
Hawk*, *Red-tailed
Hawk *(5), a *Cooper’s Hawk*, *Northern Harrier* (3), *American Kestrel *(3)
and one adult *Bald Eagle. *One nice sighting was two young kestrels
playing with each other in a field;

- The ducks included *Mallards*, *American Wigeon, *one *Gadwall*, quite
a few *Northern Pintail* and some *Green-winged Teal*;

- There were quite a few species (8) of sparrows which is to be
expected this time of year. We saw *Lincoln’s Sparrow*, *Fox
Sparrow*, *Savannah
Sparrow*, *Song Sparrow*, *Dark-eyed Junco*, *Spotted Towhee*, as well as
*White-crowned* and *Golden-crowned Sparrows*;

- Most of the shorebirds were at Pintail Marsh because the water
levels are still very low at Eagle Marsh. The shorebirds included *Greater
Yellowlegs*, *Long-billed Dowitchers*, *Great Blue Heron*, *Great Egret*,
some *Least Sandpipers* and *Killdeer*;

- We also saw a *Black Phoebe *and two young Barn Swallows at Pintail
Marsh.

- Some other birders saw three young *Bonaparte’s Gulls* at Pintail Marsh
as well as a *Belted Kingfisher*.

A complete list of today's birds follows. Our next SAS bird walk will
be *Thursday, October 25th at 8:30 AM* at *Brown’s Ferry Park* in
Tualatin. Meet at the Airport Park and Ride at 8:30 AM. The following
walk will be to *Minto-Brown Island Park* on *Sunday, November 4th at 8:00
a.m.* Meet at Parking Lot #3 at the end of Minto Island Road. Please join
us if you can.

*Note:* There is a free workshop on the Salem Christmas Bird Count (CBC)
on *Saturday, October 27th* from *10:00 AM to 12 noon*. It will be held at
the ODFW at 4034 Fairview Industrial Dr. in Salem. We will go over CBC
information and protocols as well as spending a lot of time on birds that
could be seen during the CBC on December 15, 2018. The workshop is free.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Ankeny NWR Checklist Summary for October 14, 2018*

*Number of Species: 48*

*Checklists included in this summary: 5*

Checklists included in this summary:

(1): Ankeny NWR--Pintail Marsh @ 7:56 AM
(2): Corner of Ankeny Hill Road and Buena Vista Road @ 9:30 AM
(3): First pullout on right on Buena Vista Road @ 10:19 AM
(4): Second pullout on right on Buena Vista Road @ 10:44 AM
(5): Ankeny NWR including Eagle Marsh @ 10:55 AM

108 Cackling Goose -- (1),(2)
2 Canada Goose -- (1)
1 Gadwall -- (1)
2 American Wigeon -- (1)
100 Mallard -- (1)
32 Northern Pintail -- (1)
14 Green-winged Teal -- (1)
3 Pied-billed Grebe -- (1)
5 Eurasian Collared-Dove -- (1)
8 Killdeer -- (1),(2)
16 Least Sandpiper -- (1)
29 Long-billed Dowitcher -- (1)
6 Greater Yellowlegs -- (1)
2 Great Blue Heron -- (1)
2 Great Egret -- (1),(2)
3 Northern Harrier -- (1),(3)
1 Cooper's Hawk -- (1)
1 Bald Eagle -- (1)
1 Red-shouldered Hawk (elegans) -- (1)
5 Red-tailed Hawk -- (1),(2),(4)
3 Acorn Woodpecker -- (2)
3 Downy Woodpecker -- (3)
2 Northern Flicker -- (2),(5)
3 American Kestrel -- (2),(5)
1 Black Phoebe -- (1)
3 California Scrub-Jay -- (2),(3)
10 American Crow -- (1)
2 Barn Swallow -- (1)
20 Black-capped Chickadee -- (2),(3),(5)
5 Bushtit -- (2)
1 White-breasted Nuthatch -- (2)
1 Brown Creeper -- (2)
1 Bewick's Wren -- (3)
5 American Robin -- (4),(5)
15 European Starling -- (1),(2)
25 Cedar Waxwing -- (2),(4),(5)
3 House Finch -- (2)
2 American Goldfinch -- (1)
1 Fox Sparrow (Sooty) -- (1)
3 Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) -- (2)
3 White-crowned Sparrow -- (1),(5)
5 Golden-crowned Sparrow -- (1),(2),(5)
4 Savannah Sparrow -- (1),(2),(5)
9 Song Sparrow -- (1),(2),(3),(4),(5)
4 Lincoln's Sparrow -- (5)
3 Spotted Towhee -- (2),(4)
12 Brewer's Blackbird -- (1)
1 Yellow-rumped Warbler -- (5)
3 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) -- (3)
1 passerine sp. -- (3)

Join us on Facebook!