Date: 10/15/18 4:29 pm
From: Diane Dentlinger <dianedentlinger...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Fwd:
[image: 0.jpeg]

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Diane Dentlinger <dianed_200...>
Date: Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 6:06 PM
Subject: Cowles Commons, downtown Des Moines
To: <dianedentlinger...> <dianedentlinger...>

If there are any birders who work in downtown Des Moines and have time to
bird Cowles Commons at 3rd and Walnut in the next few days, I'd appreciate
you letting me know what you see. In the past 4 days I've seen so many
totally unexpected migrants there that it's unbelievable and I'd like to
know what others are seeing. I'm told the south side of Cowles Commons has
been planted with native plants and there's a thick cover now -- e.g.,
attached photo.

Today in about 1/2 hour I clearly saw: EASTERN TOWHEE, WINTER
WREN, white-throated sparrows, Lincoln sparrows, song sparrows. Also, twice
thrushes walked out onto the sidewalk. I got my binocs on the one in the
attached photo today. I thought it was a Swainson's, but the cheeks was
completely gray, so I don't know what to think. I realize on the
early/late chart on IOU site, Oct. 15 would be extremely late. Later,
another thrush came out briefly, but I didn't get a good look.

Friday, 10/12 in about 1 hr of me mostly just standing very, very still, I
had a catbird, wood & hermit thrushes (I know... crazy.. that's why I'm
asking if other birders would check what they see), and sparrows: song,
Lincoln's, white-throated, and 2 other species I'm not sure of and won't
list my thoughts here.

South across the street last week I also found what appeared to be a dead
common yellowthroat. Over the past few years I've found many dead migrants
on the sidewalk there and assume they hit the windows on the Plaza during
migration.
Thanks for any help.
Diane Dentlinger
Des Moines