Date: 10/14/18 2:29 pm
From: Carolyn via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Harkness SP in Waterford: sparrow report, etc.

I spent most of the day at Harkness visiting several areas that are usually good for sparrows and other migrants. In my years of birding Harkness, today was the best day I have ever had for sparrows in terms of numbers. They were everywhere! I usually walk briskly to the “brush dump” and spend most of my time there. Not today! It took me over an hour just to make it there. Too many goodies along the way!

Here is a breakdown of the birds, listed in order of numbers seen:

Song Sparrow: most common (many singing AWFUL renditions of their song!)

White-crowned Sparrow, mostly immature, 6 adult: most likely over 100, but I put 50 down on eBird, as perhaps I counted many twice. They were everywhere!!!!

White-throated Sparrow: everywhere and singing

Swamp Sparrow: the most I have ever seen at Harkness: 20, perhaps twice that number

1 Clay-colored Sparrow: on west side of park, not in brush dump

In addition to sparrows:

Yellow-rumped Warblers everywhere

Eastern Phoebes everywhere: the most I have ever had at Harkness

1 late Osprey

1 Hermit Thrush

Complete list of birds is on eBird.

Carolyn Cimino