Date: 10/14/18 12:11 pm
From: Leon Bright <urraca2...>
Subject: [cobirds] Sandhill Cranes - altitude - NW Custer County
COBirders-

Yesterday morning at about 9:30 I was outside our cabin in the northern
Sangre de Cristo range enjoying the pleasant weather when I heard a few
Sandhill Cranes calling. The sky was mostly clear and judging from what I
was hearing they were headed over the range toward the Monte Vista NWR. In
spite of my best naked-eye efforts I could never see them. The mountains
near our cabin include several close-neighboring peaks above 13,500 ft. over
which the cranes were flying. Even though I've experienced a number of
crane fly-overs there it always provides a thrill.

Late yesterday, intimidated by the menacing forecasts of 7 to 12 inches
of snow, we retreated to our house under Pueblo's protective bubble. Zero
snow here today so far.

Leon Bright, Pueblo and Westcliffe