Date: 10/13/18 9:20 am
From: Wayne Weber <contopus...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Large flock of Dippers detected at Force Lake
Bob and Oregon Birders,

Actually Dippers are somewhat migratory, at least in British Columbia where I am familiar with them. They don’t migrate far, but they migrate up and down many of their nesting streams (although there may be some birds that occupy the same area year-round). On many streams, they nest in headwaters areas which are frozen solid in the winter, and may move 30 or 40 miles downstream for the winter. They certainly show up on many streams from October through April in lower reaches where they are never seen in the summer. They also show up occasionally on lakeshores wherever there is suitable food.

Another bird which isn’t usually thought of as migratory is the Mountain Quail. In the Sierra Nevada, they are said to move upslope in the spring and downslope in fall, as much as 20 or 30 miles. This is a bird which rarely flies, so this migration is accomplished almost entirely on foot. Some of the breeding areas are under several feet of snow in the winter.

No, this kind of movement is not what we usually think of as migration, but such short-distance movement from summer to winter definitely come under the heading of migration.

Lars, good pun— it was guaranteed to attract some attention!

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

<contopus...>