Date: 10/13/18 8:59 am
Subject: Re: these hurricanes and birds
Hi everyone, I have been subscribed to this listserv for awhile but since
my health has caused a hiatus in birding, I've never had anything to post.
Betsy, I asked Miyoku Chu at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology whether the Lab
was doing any research regarding hurricanes and bird migration and below is
what she said. Not really an answer to your specific question, but
interesting reading nevertheless.

Best Regards,

Ellen Kwa

=========

We’re not doing research about hurricanes specifically at the Lab, but we
have an “aeroecology” program now that focuses on using radar to understand
how weather, timing, and other factors affect bird migration. If you go to
the Birdcast website <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__birdcast.info_&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=mWLxT-QyHYFu0PZFpZn9SxTk2pA3U3NAe1TP7JiS3ZM&s=xICGD60jtHzj1IrjP05ZKqv8m_Gps6faEdZgnNvaJ_8&e=>, you’ll find live maps that
use migration to show radar, as well as three-day forecasts. On October 11,
one of the postdocs point out to me how their recent map showed birds going
west of Michael.

Meanwhile, here are a couple of recent posts that we’ve put out:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.newswise.com_articles_displaced-2Dseabirds-2C-2Dsongbird-2Dmass-2Dmigration-2Dexpected-2Din-2Dhurricane-2Dmichael-25E2-2580-2599s-2Dwake&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=mWLxT-QyHYFu0PZFpZn9SxTk2pA3U3NAe1TP7JiS3ZM&s=3G9Q5lbL9VFegvP39t5OO5etnyIVVDjNS7-VcnfzgC4&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.allaboutbirds.org_how-2Ddo-2Dhurricanes-2Daffect-2Dmigrating-2Dbirds_&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=mWLxT-QyHYFu0PZFpZn9SxTk2pA3U3NAe1TP7JiS3ZM&s=e6tjFyVshQYkBALUVAa9HIvBbSH2bA2OCj9LjA7SMU0&e=

Past articles related to hurricanes:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.allaboutbirds.org_search_-3Fq-3Dhurricane&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=mWLxT-QyHYFu0PZFpZn9SxTk2pA3U3NAe1TP7JiS3ZM&s=v1_ySqTJVEpPkTGSDXIhLX0oAjaqFX6glXopyRZ2f6c&e=

=========

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 6:23 PM Betsy Kane <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> It's so distressing to think of these two extreme storms (Florence and
> Michael) devastating coastal areas just when fall migration is under way.
>
> I would think that between the two of them they damaged a huge amount of
> prime migration channels, not only the corridor along the Carolinas'
> Atlantic coast, but also a huge amount of the big "lobby and waiting area"
> aloatng the northern edge of the Gulf -- and at two presumably highly
> traveled times during migration -- Sept 14-15 and October 10.
>
> Can any biologists or ecologists speak to this?
>
> Central to this, and not a side note at all:
> I'm sickened by what human-caused warming is doing to our natural
> systems, including more frequent storms, and extremification of the storms
> that occur, and increases in their geographic extent and sheer size. As a
> birder, I am re-committing to all the political and personal actions I can
> take to attack the coming global climate disaster. I hope and encourage
> all birders to do the same!
>
> Betsy Kane
> Pearl Hall (302 East Second Street)
> Elevation 10' above mean sea level