Date: 10/11/18 5:33 pm
From: James V Remsen <najames...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Alerts re: uncommon sightings?
Jane et al. — you can set up rare bird alerts in eBird down to the parish level, which should reveal any flagged species within your attack radius. But as you found out, eBird alerts do not tell you about flagged high counts. And not everyone uses eBird. Bay-breasted has become so rare in LA in fall that I have zeroed the filter for every parish except …. Orleans. The two eBird lists that reported the Bay-breasts were from visitors from Hawaii and Alaska, so they were unlikely to be plugged intof LABIRD etc. much less how rare their Bay-breasted fallout was (assuming they were correctly identified).

===================

Dr. J. V. Remsen
Prof. of Natural Science and Curator of Birds
Museum of Natural Science/Dept. Biological Sciences
LSU, Baton Rouge, LA 70803
najames<at>LSU.edu

> On Oct 11, 2018, at 6:48 PM, Jane Patterson <seejanebird...> wrote:
>
> So after perusing ebird this afternoon and coming across a report of a
> "fallout of Bay-breasted Warblers" in City Park New Orleans today, I was
> wondering.... Other than someone taking the time to report via LABIRD or
> one of the facebook groups, is there any other way to find out when someone
> makes an unusual report like that via ebird? I know there are rare bird
> alerts. Presumably Bay-breasted Warbler isn't rare in Louisiana in
> October, but I would think 50 would be flagged. Is there a way to find out
> about these kinds of reports other than just stumbling across them? I
> would have changed my plan for the day if I'd heard about this one!
>
> thanks,
> Jane Patterson
> Ponchatoula

Join us on Facebook!