Date: 10/11/18 4:01 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Lotsa Laplands- Coos 10/11/18
I was working out on south end of N Spit Coos Bay collecting pink sand
verbena seed this AM and early PM. We worked a patch of large plants for
several hours so were basically just in one small spot the whole time. When
we first arrived we jumped a Lapland that was right in the pink sand
verbena patch. After a while seed collecting a harrier flew through and
suddenly there were lots of Laplands in the air, I saw at least a dozen.
They flew south 50 yards and landed. A while later 5 more flew right by us
from a different direction and landed. I had two high calling flyovers of
singles which I think were different birds during the day also. Anyhow I
think 20 is a reasonable guess on numbers. Towards the end of our day the
large flock flew into us and landed all around us- it was really cool. I
only heard 3 pipits all day and they were high flying south. I heard SP
Plovers and Leasties also out in the same area. Nice day with temps up to
70 and light winds.

October rocks!
Tim R
Coos Bay