Date: 10/11/18 1:31 pm
From: robert dodelson <rdodelson...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Assunpink notes
I've been watching the Ruddy Duck flock grow from a few to 27 today. Best
viewed behind the island on Lake Assunpink not too far from the dam. I had
my first sighting on 10/1 but Tom Smith said he saw a couple the week
before. This has been the only duck I've seen this fall except for a couple
of Wood Ducks.
I had a Merlin today perched briefly on the island. I'm sure others have
had this falcon here in the past but I can recall seeing this bird only
once before here.
On the trail leading to the open field from the parking lot of Stone Tavern
Lake I had a Phila Vireo yesterday. Shorter bill and tail and yellow wash
on chest differentiated it from a nearby Red-Eyed. This has been a good
spot for Goldfinch (no Siskins though) and Sparrows.
Yesterday I had Swamp, Field, Song, Lincoln, Towhee and my FOS Junco here.
I also heard a Yellow billed Cuckoo. Lots of Waxwings, a few Robins but no
Bluebirds.
There was an Osprey on the island today. If the warm weather continues
maybe it will stay for the CBC!
Bob Dodelson

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>