Date: 10/11/18 10:45 am
From: Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Probable MacGillivray's Warbler- Mercer Woods- 10/10
  Yesterday late morning, shortly before high-end Cat 4 Hurricane Michael made landfall on the Florida Panhandle, I stumbled across a rather large, bright warbler working some foliage low near the mansion.
  I was able to obtain a couple rather blurry photos of the bird.  This was mostly due to its skulking behavior, and never knowing when the warbler was going to pop out of the foliage for a few seconds.
  Field marks observed included...
-Large, bulky ground-skulking warbler with a long tail.
- Light gray hood with paler chin region.  Defined eye arcs, but ringed slightly around edges.  This suggested hatch-year or female.
- Tail projection extended far beyond undertail coverts.
- Bright yellow underparts contrasting with yellow-greenish mantle.
- Responded to MacGillivray's chip note playback (which is how I was able to obtain photos).
- A couple chips heard from the bird resembled Common Yellowthroat, but without the "burry echo quality" of aforementioned species.

  I do know that Mourning Warbler has been recorded late, but I wonder is there any photographic evidence of these October record Mournings?  I also know that especially during the fall that it can be a difficult ID, especially when considering eastern vagrants.
The eBird report with (blurry) photos can be viewed here  https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49099234
If anyone has any suggestions, I would enjoy hearing them.
Good birding.
Justin RinkMidtown Omaha, Douglas Co., <NEspindalis79...>

Join us on Facebook!