Date: 10/11/18 8:44 am
From: Jon King <jonking271...>
Subject: Re: kinglets
As Chris said, there was a nice movement last night. The radar showed
considerable movement in portions of the midwest and super heavy flight
over the western gulf coast. I decided to bird Burcham Park this morning
and it was quite birdy before the clouds rolled in and the wind picked up.
Had it remained calm and sunny, as it was when I first arrived, I suspect
my migrant tallies (see below) would have been considerably higher. Nothing
super outstanding was seen, but it was an enjoyable morning nonetheless.
The Red-eyed Vireo, Northern Parula, and Wilson’s Warbler all fit into the
kinda late category. I observed the follow migrants in addition to other
species not listed ...

Northern Flicker - 10

Eastern Phoebe - 3

Blue-headed Vireo - 6

Red-eyed Vireo - 1

Red-breasted Nuthatch - 1

Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 15

Golden-crowned Kinglet - 1

Winter Wren - 1

House Wren - 1

Brown Thrasher - 2

Gray Catbird - 1

Orange-crowned Warbler - 10

Nashville Warbler - 15

Myrtle Warbler - 80

Black-throated Green Warbler - 3

Northern Parula - 1

Common Yellowthroat - 3

Wilson’s Warbler - 1

Lincoln’s Sparrow - 6

Swamp Sparrow - 1

Song Sparrow - 3

White-throated Sparrow - 15

Dark-eyed Junco - 6

Indigo Bunting - 2

Yesterday there was still a Summer Tanager and Rose-breasted Grosebak in
the yard. I suspect the tanager had departed by now, but who knows.

Jon King
Lawrence, KS

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to