Date: 10/11/18 12:21 am
From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [COBOL] Wednesday Birding ECAS to Crook County
NEXT WEEK BIRDERS Sleep later, start time moves to 8 a.m.

Locations birded, Ochoco Creek Park, Crooked River Park, Prineville
sewer pond complex, CR Wetlands, Houston Lake.
Some good birds for the county and good for our year list were seen
today. First in the MAYBE department,
Greater White-fronted Geese overhead at CRW and a possible female
Great-tailed Grackle, both species seen poorly and by only 2 birders.
The blackbird had a strong yellow-buff supercillium, no streaks on
front, bigger than blackbird and walking edge of pond #4 where it
disappeared into vegetation and was not seen again. I hope someone can
get out there and look around for it in the next few days. And, what
seemed like a big flock for central Oregon were 24 DC Cormorants flying
in formation over us at CRW and also had small numbers at old sewer
ponds and at CRW.

Surprise was a Barn OWl that flew up between the river and CRW as 4 or
so birders approached the area. We had groups of (?Late?) swallows. A
Barn Swallow was seen at close range over older sewer ponds by a couple
of birders, then a good flock of Cliff and Barn over CRW and later over
Houston Lake, those quite high, feeding as they generally moved south.
About 30 swallows were in one flock. And to add to the wonderful
morning, at east end of Ochoco Creek Park, we had a perched Merlin and
then 4 Sandhill Cranes flew over us heading south. Seeing a Varied
Thrush was nice at Crooked River Park, after only hearing them at Ochoco
Creek Park. Most conspicuous passerine migrants were Yellow-rumps and
Ruby-crowned Kinglets in mult locations.

MAYBE - Greater White-fronted Goose - 6
Canada Goose
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-Winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Bufflehead
Ruddy Duck - one striking leucistic Ruddy, CRW, photos by some.
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe - somewhat numerous Prineville SP
Eared Grebe -esp numerous at Prineville SP
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret - 1 CRW
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Merlin - in a tall Poplar at Ochoco Creek Park
American Coot
Sandhill Crane - 4
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs - 1 - pond #4
Long-billed Dowitcher - 30 or more total
Wilson's Snipe - single at pond 4, later 4 flew over us
Rock Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Barn Owl
Anna's Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Northern Flicker
Western Scrub-Jay
Black-billed Magpie
American Crow
Common Raven
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Marsh Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Mountain Bluebird - Houston
Townsend's Solitaire - Crooked River Park
American Robin
Varied Thrush - Crooked River Park, a female
European Starling
Orange-crowned Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Lesser Goldfinch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow
Total number of species seen: 54
Birders today: Aaron Jenkins, Scott Ahlf, Toni Morozumi, Denise
Fainberg, Sherrie Pierce, Joel Tinsley, Don Sutherland, David
Sowards-Emmerd, Diane Burgess, Milt Vine, and self. NEXT WEEK, start
time moves to 8 a.m.
Good birding, Judy Meredith, <jmeredit...>