Date: 10/11/18 12:02 am
From: Karen Garrett <kjgarrett84...>
Subject: Re: birds
Gee, and I thought I was doing pretty good in seeing 3 Great Egrets at the
Fish Hatchery in Centerton, along with 7 Great Blues, and 1 Green Heron. I
spent about 3 hours birding the fish hatchery, and surrounding area, as
well as the Vaughn area. I totaled 5 Scissor-taileds, down from my last
trip last week. I picked up 6 Red-tailed Hawks, which was the most I've
seen in an area since last March, I think, and saw about a dozen of some
type of hawk, kettling WAY up above Centerton. They were too high for me
to see, very quickly. "Best" bird of the day was Yellow-throated Warbler
near the dairy farms at Vaughn. Best bird that got away without an ID was
a large falcon at the fish hatchery. If I knew that was my lifer
Peregrine, I would probably cry. It was after sunset, and it flew low and
into the treeline before I got the bins on it. I drove the area until it
got too dark to see much. Another interesting note for today's
observations was the fairly large number of vociferous Eastern
Meadowlarks. I don't know how many there were, but I heard a lot of
singing. All in all, although I was hoping for more passerines today, it
was still a good afternoon of birding, with about 36 species. I still have
to sort out the peeps from my photos, so that's a fluid number.

Karen Garrett
Rogers