Date: 10/10/18 11:11 pm
From: Noah Arthur <semirelicta...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Abbotts Lagoon COMMON RINGED-PLOVER -- more photos
Adrian Hinkle and I followed up on Mark Sawyer's report of an apparent COMMON RINGED-PLOVER, and got excellent close views and photos of the plover. We first found the bird roosting with SNOWY and SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS on the high sand between the lagoon and the beach. After we had observed it for some time there, it picked up and flew across to the north side of the main lagoon, where we were able to find it again roosting calmly with other plovers on the sand. It eventually made its way down to the edge of the lagoon and began foraging.
This was the only plover that appeared to be in breeding plumage, with bright jet-black face pattern and breast-band. The very broad black breast-band, bold white supercilium, black loral stripe reaching the gape, lack of a yellow orbital ring, rather thin and pointed bill, and apparently web-less or nearly web-less toes seem to make this a solid COMMON RINGED-PLOVER. (However, I'll of course defer to differing expert opinions if any arise...)
Photos on my Flickr here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99231652@N07/albums/72157702290765985
Happy and successful plover-chasing to you all! And congratulations to Mark on this spectacular find.
Noah Arthur, Oakland

Join us on Facebook!