Date: 10/10/18 8:40 pm
From: Sue Girard <susansales535...>
Subject: [slocobirding] Yellow-shafted Flicker Nipomo 10/8
[Edited Message Follows]

2 pm--A Yellow Shafted Flicker just arrived in my Catalina Cherry hedgerow in Nipomo near the swap meet neighborhood. I haven't seen the underside of wings yet, but the red crescent is on the nape and the under tail coverts are yellow along the side.

The berries are at least a month or more late ripening this year, usually enjoyed in late summer by Black headed Grosbeaks and Orioles,  but have been enjoyed by lots of winter arrivals and migrants this year.

--edit: Tom Edell suggests it may have been a female Intergrade and pointed to marks to look for: brownish crown and grey neck (as opposed to Int. male with dark red malar stripe as well as red nape.)