Date: 10/10/18 8:38 pm
From: Andrew Haffenden <andrew...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [ALBIRDS] Birding prospects
Thanks Bob, it's a crap shoot right now with DI more northerly banked birds setting down here for a final feed or are they south of Montgomery and waiting for a straight shot from there across the Gulf? And will Sunday's trending more Easterly in the Gulf but northerly on the mainlsnd get them down here then bottle them up? But regardless, for those who want to see birds other than flitterbirds, an hour and a half on radically changed Pelican this evening revealed well over a thousand  birds, of some 30 species,  mostly  effectively stationary allowing 10-15 minute plus persusal of the groups in good light, at eye level, no leaves in the way etc. A thousand birds in the Shell Mounds in 90 minutes all easily seen in good light and studied, photographed etc at leisure! Pretty much unheard of! Species on the beach included Great Blue Heron, Reddish Egret, Great Egret, Caspian Tern, Royal Tern, Sandwich Tern, Forster'sTern and Common Tern, Black Skimmer,  Herring, Ring-billed and Laughing Gull, Western Willet, Short-billed Dowitcher, Red Knot, Sanderling, Dunlin, Western Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Black-bellied Plover, Semipalmated Plover, Piping Plover and Snowy Plover. Plus pelicans and Ospreys, and some generic passerines. And I'm sure I've omitted a few.

Cheers,

Andrew Haffenden