Date: 10/10/18 7:37 pm
From: Jack Bushong <jcbushong01...>
Subject: [cobirds] Migrants in Louisville
Hi all,
Over the past week there have been a good number of birds moving through
the Louisville area, likely to some extend associated with the recent
weather. Along with the usual migrants, several rare or late birds of note
were present. This past weekend there was a sizable migrant flock along
Coal Creek including Yellow-rumped, Wilson's, Orange-crowned, and a late
Hammond's Flycatcher. Farther down the creek was a continuing Townsend's
Warbler. Ruby-crowned Kinglets have been in good numbers, with 10+ on
multiple occasions. Warembourg continues to lack many birds of any kind,
although there was a Lincoln's Sparrow recently. Yesterday, my brother
found a Western Tanager near downtown, and a Lewis's Woodpecker at Coyote
Run Open Space. In addition, several large flocks of cranes passed over in
the afternoon. Today Holden and I ventured out in the cold weather in the
same area in search of these birds and others. Near Lake Park was an
Orange-crowned and a lingering Wilson's Warbler. The Lewis's did not appear
to be present at Coyote Run, although there was what appeared to be a House
Wren, as well as one Hermit Thrush and another thrush glimpsed briefly with
a very warm orange back. In addition, a flock of shorebirds flew over that
strongly suggested dowitchers, although they were somewhat distant. On the
way back we encountered a Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker, my first for a
while in Louisville.
Good Birding,
Jack Bushong,
Louisville, CO