Date: 10/10/18 7:07 pm
From: Ronald- Thorn via Groups.Io <Tronthorn=<aol.com...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Pigeon Pt. seawatch and Lapland Longspur

This morning I headed out for a seawatch at Pigeon Point. A part cloudy sky and a southwest wind
made for good visibility all the way out to the horizon. The seawatch was from 07:15-10:00.

There are still many Brown Pelicans, Brandt's Cormorants, California Gulls, Heerman's Gulls,
Western Gulls and Common Murres coming into feeding frenzies. ( 3 ) Species of tubenoses
were also attracted to the feeding frenzies.

Below are just some of the birds noted.

Northern Pintail ( 4 )

Northern Shoveler ( 15 )

Surf Scoter ( 6 )

Red-throated Loon ( 4 )

Pacific Loon ( 5 south, the first I have noted this fall )

Buller's Shearwater ( 60 north )

Pink-footed Shearwater ( a HIGH number of 1,200 north )

Sooty Shearwater ( 65 north )

Pomarine Jaeger ( 4 )

Bonaparte's Gull ( 1, the first I have noted this fall )

Elegant Tern ( 400 north )

While at Pigeon Point, a LAPLAND LONGSPUR was calling in flight and landed along the road.
Lapland Longspur was on my radar, as yesterday there were a HIGH number of ( 60 ) at Lake
Tolowa in Del Norte County. ( 1 ) Lapland Longspur has already made it down to coastal southern
California. I expect there will be more heading down through the coastal areas.

I did some riparian birding along Gazos Creek Road. I had some flocks, others got away. Nothing
rare! ( 1 ) flock of Townsend's Warblers had ( 2 ) Nashville Warblers and a Black-throated Gray
Warbler.

Ron Thorn