Date: 10/10/18 5:57 pm
From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler...>
Subject: [texbirds] Summary of my Austin hawkwatch
TexBirders,

I spent about 4 hrs 45 min on my roof in NW Austin between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. I had a moderate movement of hawks; fewer than I expected but I understand others (e.g. Justin B.) had many more in a different location over Austin. Such are the vagueries of hawk migration. The N winds were lighter today than I had expected after such a front. I still suspect some major Swainson’s movement occurred west of Austin, but tomorrow is forecast to have light E winds and there may still be some raptor movement yet to come.

Here are my totals for today (migrants only, not including local birds).

Turkey Vulture - 87
Black Vulture - 5
Broad-winged Hawk - 5
Swainson’s Hawk - 379, including at least 4 dark phase
Red-tailed Hawk - 4+
Cooper’s Hawk - 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1
Unid. Accip. - 3
American Kestrel - 3
Unid. raptors - 6

Also migrating:
Double-crested Cormorant - 6
Amer. White Pelican - 60
Anhinga - 1 (new for my yard list)

Chuck Sexton
Austin, TXEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!