Date: 10/10/18 4:57 pm
From: JAMES SPEICHER <jugornought...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Oddball Flicker behavior & hummer gone?
Two flickers faced off on the lower rail of a split rail fence this
morning in the yard. I wasn't actively looking for the "mustache"
that would mark either as a male, but think I would have noticed it as
I observed the pair for almost ten minutes. My belief is that both
were females.

While facing off not more than 8 inches apart, the birds would waggle
their bills in unison from the level to the vertical, tho never
actually touching bills. Either one would begin the activity, then
the other would join in. This went on for 10 minutes until I had to
leave...???

Last hummer sighting was on the 8th of an imm male that had been
around for a while. I staked out the feeder for 45' and 30' the last
two days in mornings, which has been effective in spotting them, but
no luck.

Jim Speicher
BroadRun/Burkittsville area
[FR] Frederick County MD
M.O.S. member, Washington [WA] Co Chapter