Date: 10/10/18 4:34 pm
From: Don Roberson <creagrus...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Blue-winged Warbler RFI
A further update on Carmel River mouth birds from today: I am aware that there were birders present from very early until about 1 p.m. The Blue-winged Warbler continues and was seen several times, usually with a big flock, from about 100m to 300m downstream of Carmel River Inn. As always it was very active, tending to "bury" itself into creek dogwood, and never stayed very long. The Blue-headed Vireo was found very briefly twice, about 200m downstream of the Inn, with a flock, by only a couple for the birders present. A Black-and-white Warbler was also seen by some at that spot (a new arrival, we guess). Of interest to locals were the presence of at least 5-6 flocks of "Aleutian" Cackling Geese, one of them as large as 108 geese, all heading north over the river on this mostly overcast day. The total of all the flocks involved at least 193 Aleutian Geese.

Don Roberson
Pacific Grove CA
http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/