Date: 10/10/18 2:04 pm
From: Neil McDonal <00000110fb120f04-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Apparent YELLOW-GREEN VIREO at Henderson BVP
This is certainly an interesting bird! Perhaps its species may prove to be indeterminate, particularly without additional information. Being more foolish than brave, I will wade in and say that the bill looks particularly long compared to the many western Bell’s Vireos I have seen here and particularly Arizona, but maybe the eastern race is longer billed. I would note that the second picture, the eye when blown up some does appear a little reddish. This might be an artifact of the lighting, who knows.

So I agree with Carl that more pictures/data are needed and I don’t know if Vireos are prone to any hybridization, but that could certainly yield a confusing bird like this one. In some ways, this bird reminds me quite a bit of the mystery vireo we had on the Audubon trip to Oliver Ranch recently but we didn’t have any decent pictures to put together the clues.

Neil M
Las Vegas

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 10, 2018, at 9:46 AM, Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I probably jumped the gun on calling this a Yellow-green (it's certainly
> not a Red-eyed, either). The weak/plain facial pattern, apparent wing bar,
> and other things (the description says the iris was red, but it looks dark
> in the photo) suggest this is not a Yellow-green and may instead be a
> Bell's Vireo. Paul Lehman, at first glance, suggested that it could be an
> Eastern Bell's which is also a very interesting sighting for Nevada (if
> confirm-able) and a potential future split.
>
> Apologies for the confusion. Still would be a nice bird for others to go
> refind and gain additional documentation.
>
> Good Birding,
>
> Carl Lundblad
> Moscow, ID
>
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 9:06 AM Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Debbi Senechal photographed a vireo at the Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve
>> on Tuesday morning which appears to be a YELLOW-GREEN VIREO. This was just
>> one day after Ben Zyla found a Red-eyed at the same location, but this is
>> quite clearly a different bird. Photos are in Debbi's eBird checklist (
>> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49090847), but I have no other details
>> at this time.
>>
>> Good Birding and Good Luck!
>>
>> Carl Lundblad