Date: 10/10/18 1:49 pm
From: Maxine Okazaki <mokazaki...>
Subject: Binocular recommendations requested
I currently use an old Swarovski SLC 7x42B for birding that I inherited from
my father-in-law. It is an excellent binoc with a very bright image, but it
weighs a ton.

However, I'm finding it difficult to identify the fine characteristics of
distant birds (eg beak color, wing bars) and was wondering if it would be
worthwhile upgrading to a 10x42.

I am looking for binocs with a higher magnification while maintaining the
closest focus at no farther than 10 feet.

I understand that Nikon makes the Monarch 7 and Monarch HG lines. I looked
at a Monarch 7 8x42 and the optics seemed very good with low dispersion
glass, but I didn't think the increase in magnification from my 7x to an 8x
made much of a difference. I also looked at the Swarovski 8.5x42 and the
optics seemed slightly better than the Nikon Monarch 7, but it was $2000
more than the Nikon.

I'd like to get your opinions on the following questions:
1. Is 10x magnification too high for birding? Is it difficult to locate
the bird in the tree with a 10x, since the viewing area is smaller than my
7x?
2. I know with the higher magnification, any hand shake will be more
noticeable. Has this been a problem?
3. Do any of you have any opinions on the Nikon Monarch 7 vs Monarch HG
lines of binoculars? The Monarch HG binocs are approximately double the
price of the Monarch 7.
4. Are there any other brand of binocs that you would recommend.

Thank you for your opinions.

Maxine Okazaki
Chapel Hill, NC

Join us on Facebook!