Date: 10/10/18 1:08 pm
From: Dennis Arendt <dennisarendt...>
Subject: [obol] Wednesday Birders in the fog
The Eugene Wednesday birders went to Wild Iris Ridge Park in southwest
Eugene. The fog was thick and it managed to get even thicker before we
started back to the cars. However, the birds were plentiful, though
sometimes hard to see. This relatively new park has a great mix of forest
and underbrush habitat. The new larger parking lot off Bailey Hill Road
makes accessing the park much easier. We had our first White-throated
Sparrow of the season. Two Turkey Vultures, waiting for some warmer air,
sat in tree tops like large black lumps. We could see fairly well most of
the morning as long as the birds were not too far away. We tested our
ability to identify birds by ear and by silhouette some of the time. Here
is our entire list.

Turkey Vulture

Anna's Hummingbird - a couple

Acorn Woodpecker - a group of 5 or 6

Red-breasted Sapsucker

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Hutton's Vireo - one

Steller's Jay

California Scrub-Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch - heard only

White-breasted Nuthatch - two or four

Bewick's Wren

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Wrentit - heard only

American Robin

European Starling

Cedar Waxwing - a few groups, one very large group eating Madrone berries

Yellow-rumped Warbler - a few

Townsend's Warbler - two

Fox Sparrow - only one

Dark-eyed Junco - several small flocks

White-crowned Sparrow - a few with the Goldens

Golden-crowned Sparrow - several large flocks

White-throated Sparrow - one with the Goldens high up the trail.

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow - one only

Spotted Towhee

House Finch - one only.. what's with that?

Lesser Goldfinch - several large flocks

American Goldfinch - a dozen with the Lessers

Tom Cable, Nancy Clogston, Sue Hutchinson, Sylvia Maulding, Judy and Steve
Franzen, Steve Dignam, Jim Regali, Kit Larsen, Scott McNeeley and Dennis
Arendt

Join us on Facebook!