Date: 10/10/18 1:02 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Skokie Lagoons From Willow Road Wed 10-10-18
Hello Bird People,

Had to go somewhere close to beat the incoming rain so I picked Skokie
Lagoons. Finished at 9:45 a.m. & light rain started soon thereafter.
Didn't do as well as on Saturday when I had 40 species but I managed
28 species today. Unlike Saturday where I had my best birds in the
opening by the shelter today there were almost no birds in that area.
Every day is different.

Skokie Lagoons From Willow (7:30-9:45 a.m.)

P.B. Grebe (1)
D.C.Cormorant (2)
Great Blue Heron (2)
Great Egret (2)
Canada Geese (39)
Wood Duck (14)
Mallard (55)
Cooper's Hawk (1)
Killdeer (1 flying by)
Mourning Dove (5)
Kingfisher (2)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (1)
Downy Woodpecker (2-M)
Hairy Woodpecker (1-M)
Flicker (2)
Blue Jay (6-8)
Crows (4)
Chickadee (4)
W.B. Nuthatch (1)
Golden Crowned Kinglet (4)
Ruby Crowned Kinglet (3)
Robins (65-70, they were everywhere!)
Starling (4)
Song Sparrow (1)
White Throated Sparrow (8-10)
Junco (8)
Red Winged Blackbird (12)
Goldfinch (H-2)

In spite of the light rain I checked Techny North where I found that a
little shorebird habitat has returned but there were no shorebirds.
With today's rain I'd bet it'll be flooded again tomorrow.

Techny North Of Willow (10:05-10:25 a.m.)

D.C.Cormorant (3)
Great Egret (1)
Black Crowned Night Heron (1-AD & 1-IM)
Mallard (9)
Song Sparrow (1) & Goldfinch (1)

Unlike yesterday when I had many birds to pick from today's
Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the
two Black Crowned Night Herons at Techny North. Runner-Up to the Hairy
Woodpecker which I saw very well.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>