Date: 10/10/18 10:48 am
From: Steve Pancol <s.pancol...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Mounds State Park 10/10/18
Mounds State Park 10/10/18

Pedometer: 1.33 miles walked, cloudy, fairly cool
Thought I'd check the park for migrants dropping
in ahead of the cold front. Very slow.
I parked at the dead end T-section at the campground.
I walked the road to the boat launch and doubled back
along the river trail. I saw nothing. The birds were hiding
so I went to the campground office and sat on the picnic
table for 15 minutes. Soon the weeds along the woodland
edge across from the office started shaking. I was able to
log a female Magnolia and Tennessee Warbler here.
I then moved to the RV dump station where there was a
large flock feeding here (Pileated Woodpecker, Sapsucker
many Downys,Chickadees,etc.). I found a Yellow-throated
Warbler here, high in the tree tops. Seems late for this
species of warbler.
Then I worked the edging at the east end of the overflow
campground parking lot. At the restrooms I found a first
winter Connecticut Warbler.

Swainson's Thrush 3
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Magnolia Warbler - female 1
Yellow-throated Warbler 1
Tennessee Warbler 1
Connecticut Warbler 1

Many Chimney Swifts and Blue Jays migrating overhead.

--
Steve Pancol,
Anderson,Indiana

Join us on Facebook!