Date: 10/10/18 8:27 am
From: <pjcampbell56...>
Subject: RE: [MDBirding] Ducks in Danger
Something to think about on this topic. I live on the Severn River and Maryland issues hunting permits for each area of the river including my little stretch. So hunters could buy the license/permit and sit in a boat right by our property and hunt. So, I go to DNR and buy the permits myself. I just renewed last spring. The renewal was $60 for three years. They send me a renewal notice by email and I filled out the forms and sent in a check. I suppose you would have to beat the hunters who hold the permits currently so you could buy the permit before they get a chance to renew. My renewal was in March of this year. Now, it's not considered to be charity....but it might solve your problem.....get with other birders in the area and buy up the permits for the area you are concerned about. Not the best solution.....but a solution. (On the other hand, you could probably check with DNR to ensure that the hunters actually have a permit for that spot on the canal/river.....they could be just setting up without a permit for that particular spot. I don't think the duck stamp gives you the right to just hunt anywhere.)

Thanks,
Joannie