Date: 10/10/18 3:09 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (09 Oct 2018) 46 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Howard Campbell, Jim Balint.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Cloudy (100-75% cloud cover), Ceiling - 700-16,700 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 68 - 80F, Winds South @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (48) and Turkey Vultures (74).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-3; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Over a warm cup of field brew my mind drifted to dreams of
“what fantastic bird or bit of nature will I see today?” Ever think that?
That is this Bucktoe Barista’s usual “cloud in my coffee” as I sip on
Bucktoe Brew. I had survived this mornings “confrontation” with the Giant
“ice maiden.” Something great has to happen, right? Well, today my mind’s
fantasy settled on our season’s first Golden Eagle. Let’s see if that
happens as the day unfolds. Indigo Buntings are still singing in the
meadow. Howard was out a day early with his usual gift of bird seed,
featuring peanuts – a favorite of our Red-bellied Woodpeckers [though I
like’em too, truth be told!]. Howard has to see a Bald Eagle to be happy
ad soon he was happy indeed, with the appearance of two of these impressive
raptors right overhead. Jim was out for discussions, and of course “field
brew” – that goes without saying. Several Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers did
distant flybys. The Lincoln’s Sparrow also isited the water feature.
There were a few accipiters moving and a smattering of other raptors.
However, my fantasy Golden Eagle did not materialize and will have to wait
for another day, but it’s coming!
<BR><BR>
We identified 47 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Harrier, Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered
Hawk, Broad-winged Hawk, American Kestrel, Merlin, Peregrine Falcon, Belted
Kingfisher, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Palm Warbler,
Lincoln’s Sparrow, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting, and Purple
Finch. Nothing new for this year’s “hawk watch area” species list was seen
today. [126 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Belted Kingfisher, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Palm
Warbler, Lincoln’s Sparrow, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting, and
Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (7): Monarch - 15, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tailed Blue, Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Orange Sulphur,
Buckeye. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags. Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (4): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel,
White-tailed Deer, Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.49; Steps: 12,881; Floors: 7.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 47; this season: 126
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks not the best with a foggy beginning, but with
improving skies. Light southerly winds. We should be getting our last few
Broad-wings any day now, as Turkey Vultures begin.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek