Date: 10/9/18 2:10 pm
From: Jim Danzenbaker <jdanzenbaker...>
Subject: [obol] October 7 Oregon Pelagic Tours trip summary
OBOLers,

Despite a forecast of 8 foot swells and possible rain, hearty pelagic
enthusiasts from locations as far as Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Texas
convened at the Newport Tradewinds for the Oregon Pelagic Tours (OPT) trip
to the fishing grounds about 28 miles offshore. Morning announcements made
and boarding instructions completed, we nosed out across the bar and headed
to the fleet of fishing boats which we hoped had many feeding birds.

We were not disappointed in the birds or the weather.

We immediately encountered birds, many birds, as we got closer to the
fleet. We stayed in the area for a prolonged period of time which allowed
us to create two chum slicks and had birds around us for the entire time.
Numbers were impressive (including 24 jaegers/skua!):

Black-footed Albatross: 331 (nice congregation of these visitors from the
leeward chain of the Hawaiian Islands).
Laysan Albatross: 2-3. (OPT has had great success finding this species
this year!)
Sooty Shearwater: 21
Short-tailed Shearwater: 2 (seen by a few)
Pink-footed Shearwater: 54
Flesh-footed Shearwater: 1 (seen by all)
Buller's Shearwater: 13 (such a beautiful and striking seabird)
Northern Fulmar: 204 (dark, gray, pale, and white morphs)
Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel: 10
Pomarine Jaeger: 6 (a few full tailed birds)
Parasitic Jaeger: 10 (nice to see this many!)
Long-tailed Jaeger: 6 (must have been around because of the Sabine's
Gulls. This is a good number for October)
jaeger (sp): 1
South Polar Skua: 1 (only seen by a few)
Sabine's Gull: 460 (surprising number for October. Included some young of
the year.
Black-legged Kittiwake: 1
Cassin's Auklet: 147 (flocks of up to 15)
Rhinoceros Auklet: 39
Common Murre: 11
Scripps's Murrelet: 1 (seen by only one observer)
alcid (sp): 10

Add in the sometimes ridiculous number of California and lesser number of
Western Gulls and you can picture the avian activity that we enjoyed for
more than 5 hours. Even the Herring Gulls put in a good show.

Mammals didn't disappoint either. We saw at least a dozen Humpback Whales
with many flukes amid the fine spray of whale blows. 8-10 Dall's Porpoise
shot in from nowhere and bow rode for a while before continuing on to that
next feeding frenzy. A few Northern Fur Seals poked their heads up to
check us out.

Finally, regardless of the forecast of a deep swell, the weather was
perfect for pelagic birding, a much smaller swell than forecasted and
overcast sky so no glare! A slight drizzle at times didn't get in the
way.....and NOBODY fed their last meal to the birds!

Thanks to trip organizer and leader Tim Shelmerdine and fellow guides Russ
Namitz, Shawneen Finnegan, and Dave Irons for a great trip!

Oregon Pelagic Tours will be offering another trip on October 27 (
http://www.oregonpelagictours.com/p/schedule.html) so I hope you can join
us for whatever is out there!

Will see you then!

Oregon Pelagic Tours.