Date: 10/9/18 7:57 am
From: CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] A tranquil morning at the Great Swamp
Jerseybirders,

I spent two hours this morning traversing Pleasant Plains Road from north to south, from "sunrise" onward. It was foggy and overcast the entire time, with occasional misting rain. I think that kept the bird activity down, but it was still very nice to be enjoying one of my favorite birding-before-work locales.

Yellow-rumped and Palm Warblers abounded, as did White-throated Sparrows. Several Phoebes remain, and the Bluebird clan at the Bluebird Lot did not disappoint. There were three Kestrels as well. As is seemingly the case everywhere, the number of Blue Jays was remarkable; I was never out of earshot of two, three, or more calling to each other for the entire two hours. There was an air of mystery and the exotic this morning, what with the gloom and the fog: even common birds looked like something special as they hopped through the trees. It gave a bit of thrill to the "pursuit," even if the result was an expected species at this time of year and in this place. One very nice Northern Parula did provide a bit of bright color, and a Blue-headed Vireo's brilliant head pattern enlivened things as well.

35 species on the morning. A nice way to start the day.

Good birding,

Marc Chelemer
Tenafly
(212)