Date: 10/8/18 9:10 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (08 Oct 2018) 12 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (6): Kathleen Pileggi, Beaty Broughton, Michelle, Henry &
Christian Scheive.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Fog & Cloudy w/Drizzle (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 0-2,000 ft.,
Visibility - 2-10 miles, Temps 68 - 76F, Winds East @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
1-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (0) and Turkey Vultures (5).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Fog hindered my viewing this morning. By necessity, I
focused on the feeders, which I could see. A Swamp Sparrow was among the
sparrows feeding. Blackpoll Warbler was again near the water feature, as
was an Indigo Bunting. A Magnolia Warbler was out for a visit. A bird
which might have visited, but lost the chance, was the Bluebird snared by a
Merlin, which took it to - where else -”Merlin Snag” and consumed it. The
feathers were flying everywhere. The visibility never really improved much
today. This was a rough day for hawk watching, but considering that
Bluebird’s fate, I’m not going to complain much.
<BR><BR>
We identified 45 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included
Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, American Kestrel,
Merlin, Blackpoll Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Palm Warbler, Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, Swamp Sparrow, and Purple Finch. Nothing new for this year’s
“hawk watch area” species list was seen this miserable day. [126 species
for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Blackpoll Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Palm Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeak,
Swamp Sparrow, and Purple Finch. <BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (2): Monarch - 8, Cabbage White.
Dragonflies (0). Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern
Cottontail, Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 2.58; Steps: 6,060; Floors: 9.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 45; this season: 126
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a poor beginning with conditions improving a
bit through the day.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: