Date: 10/8/18 6:44 pm
From: Stephen Shunk <steve...>
Subject: [COBOL] Westside Bend yard birds--Habitat thoughts
Greetings, All,
With the change of seasons, we have had some fun observations in our
neighborhood on Bend's west side. We are at the corner of 15th and Knoll,
between Galveston and Simpson. Last winter, we moved from 1906 Knoll to
1509 Knoll, just five blocks eastward. The 1906 house was 5 blocks deeper
into the ponderosa pines, and our current place has no big trees, though we
can see them close-by. The lands to the east of us are mainly commercially
developed, with very few large trees.

Over the last two weeks, the EVENING GROSBEAKS have returned. These were
the first we have found at the new house, but they were frequent at the old
house, though always outside of breeding season. On our recent walks around
the nearby blocks, we have also seen several YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, which
were rare at the last property. If memory serves (re: migration timing),
the current birds should have some 'Myrtle' Warblers among them, though I
don't usually walk with binos.

About 2 weeks ago, we had a small group of PINYON JAYS fly through the
neighborhood, a species we *never* had at the prior property over the last
6 years. Since the first group, we have heard and seen the PJs twice more.
We also saw our first AMERICAN CROWS this fall which we *never* heard or
saw five blocks to the west. The biggest surprise this fall was a flock of
GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE that woke me up at 230 am flying overhead,
about a week ago. Another flock flew over two nights later.

Other interesting notes include an 'eastern' PURPLE FINCH that came to our
feeders last winter, another species we never saw at 1906. Also, we have
seen SONG SPARROW, SPOTTED TOWHEE, and RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET with greater
frequency at the new house than at the old house.

'Habitat, habitat, habitat' is my corollary to the familiar 'location,
location, location' we hear regarding business sites. All it takes is a
few blocks at the transition between two habitat types and your birds will
change.

Happy winter birding,
Steve Shunk

*Do you have your copy of the Peterson Reference Guide to Woodpeckers of
North America?*
Visit www.woodpeckerwonderland.com for details!

Stephen Shunk, Paradise Birding
P.O. Box 547 Sisters, OR 97759