Date: 10/8/18 6:24 pm
From: 'Steven Mlodinow' via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: [cobirds] Arapahoe County Birding, Sunday: Western Gull, Sprague's Pipit
Greetings All

Sorry for the delayed post on this. David Ely and I had lovely birds, if not lovely weather, on Sunday birding from Chatfield to Barr via Cherry Creek and Aurora Reservoirs

Western Gull
David Ely and I had a juvenile Western Gull at Aurora Reservoir on Sunday PM. It was first found flying around the middle of the reservoir, settling in with hundreds of California Gulls, which were dwarfed by this galleon of a gull. It then flew off to the beach near the boat launch at the sw. corner of the lake, where photos were obtained. The bird's size, shape, and overall color fit my idea of Western Gull to a tee (and David's, as he was the one who spotted it and made the call first), but its bill seemed fine and inner primary panel a bit contrasty for Western Gull. I held off until Peter Pyle confirmed the ID. I'll post later about how the ID is best made
Photos at https://www.flickr.com/photos/36088296@N08/45142077432 and the photo that follows in the photostream

Sprague's Pipit
In unusual quiet (no boats, planes, automobiles, screaming children, barking dogs, howling winds, etc) a Sprague's Pipit flew over the northeast corner of Aurora Reservoir, giving its distinctive call

Sabine's Gull
A lovely adult at Cherry Creek

Great Crested Flycatcher
Okay, Adams County. Remaining near banding station at Barr Lake

Good Luck and Good Birding
Steven Mlodinow
Longmont CO